National 4/5 Woodworking Skills.
The Practical Woodworking qualification develops practical woodworking skills, practical creativity and problem solving. Learners develop understanding of safe working practices in a workshop environment, and awareness of sustainability issues in a practical woodworking context.
The Course provides opportunities for learners to gain a range of practical woodworking skills and to use a variety of tools, machinery, equipment, materials & processes. It allows them to plan activities through to the completion of finished products in wood.
The Course will also give learners the opportunity to develop thinking, numeracy, and employability, enterprise and citizenship skills.
In each of the Units learners will develop an appreciation of safe working practices in a workshop environment. They will also gain an understanding of sustainability issues and good practice in recycling in a practical woodworking context.
- using a range of woodworking tools, equipment and materials safely and correctly for woodworking tasks with some complex features
- adjusting tools where necessary, following safe practices
- reading and interpreting drawings and diagrams in familiar and some unfamiliar contexts
- measuring and marking out timber sections and sheet materials in preparation for cutting and shaping tasks with some complex features and within a specified tolerance.
- practical creativity in the context of simple and familiar woodworking tasks with some complex features
- following, with autonomy, given stages of a practical problem-solving approach to woodworking tasks
- applying knowledge and understanding of safe working practices in a workshop environment
- knowledge and understanding of the properties and uses of a range of woodworking materials
- knowledge of a range of common woodworking joints used in industry
- knowledge and understanding of sustainability issues in a practical woodworking context.
Boat or Ship Builder
Carpenter or Joiner
Craft Designer or Worker
Furniture Polisher or Finisher
Musical Instrument Technologist